California - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

To obtain a copy of your own criminal record, you can request it from the Department of Justice (DOJ). You can start the process by completing one of these forms:

Further instructions on how to complete these forms and where to send them can be found on the Department of Justice website.

Sealing/Expunging Records

If you qualify to expunge your record, you'll find extensive step-by-step instructions at the Sacremento County Public Law Library:

Fixing Errors

Further information regarding cleaning your criminal history is available on the California Courts website.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

If you wish to appeal civil records such as evictions, you may find the Civil Appeals section of the California Courts most helpful. In California, the Appellate Courts are responsible for hearing appeals.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Department of Justice
multiple locations
Voice: (916) 322-3360 or (800) 952-5225
Fax: (916) 323-5341

Administrative Office of the Courts
455 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102-3688
Phone: 415-865-4200

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.