Delaware - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

To obtain your official Delaware criminal history, you must request it from the State Bureau of Identification. Fingerprints are required, and there is a fee for this request. Criminal histories take approximately 4-6 weeks to arrive. To obtain your fingerprints and submit your request, please review the document below:

Sealing/Expunging Records

Kent County

New Castle County

Sussex County

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

If you wish to appeal an eviction decision, you must do so within 5 days of the initial court ruling. To do this, you must file a Bill of Particulars. More information can be found on the Delaware State Courts website.

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Delaware is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Judicial Information Center (JIC)
92 Reads Way
Suite 100
New Castle, DE 19720
fax: 302.323.5399

Office of the State Court Administrator

New Castle County:
500 N. King Street, Ste. 11600
Wilmington, DE 19801
fax: 302.255.2217

Sussex County:
1 South Race Street
Georgetown, DE 19947
fax: 302.856.5408

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.