Florida - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

Sealing/Expunging Records

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement handles both sealing and expunging of criminal records. All required forms and instructions are available on the FDLE website:

For questions, contact the Expunge Section:

Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Post Office Box 1489
Tallahassee, Florida 32302-1489
Attention: Expunge Section
(850) 410-7870 Expunge Section

Fixing Errors

If you have inaccuracies in your criminal record, or you feel you are a victim of identity theft, FDLE can make corrections on your behalf. For more information, visit their Compromised Identity Services page.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Florida is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Circuit courts and their contact information
County court clerks and their contact information

Office of the State Courts Administrator
State Courts Administrator
500 South Duval Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1900
(850) 922-5081
[email protected] website

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.