Hawaii - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

For a fee, you can obtain your criminal history online, or by walking into a Public Access Site:

Sealing/Expunging Records

Hawaii charges a fee for expunging criminal records, and the process takes approximately four months (120 days). The Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center (HCJDC) offers answers in their FAQ specifically addressing expungement.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

To dispute evictions in Hawaii, please contact the jurisdiction that processed the eviction:

OAHU: 808-538-5151
MAUI District Court: 808-244-2800
BIG ISLAND District Court:
    Hilo District Court: 808-961-7470
    Kona District Court: 808-322-2022
    Hamakua District Court: 808-885-4615
KAUAI District Court: 808-246-3330 or 808-246-3337
MOLOKAI District Court: 808-553-5451
LANAI District Court: 808-565-6447


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center
465 S. King Street, Room 102
Honolulu, HI 96813

Department of the Attorney General
425 Queen Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Telephone: (808) 586-1500
Fax: (808) 586-1239

Administrative Offices of the Courts
Ali`iolani Hale
417 South King Street
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813-2943
website District Courts Circuit Courts

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.