Massachusetts - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Massachusetts keeps records of every criminal case. These records are called CORI - Criminal Offender Record Information.

Obtaining an Official Record

You can obtain a copy of your criminal record in two ways:

  • Mail this form to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS)
  • Order a report online

For more information on how the necessary requirements for obtaining an official copy of your record, including fees, please visit MassLegalHelp.

Sealing/Expunging Records

In Massachusetts, you can request that your record be sealed if you were found not guilty, your case was dismissed, or the prosecutor dropped the case. If your CORI says "nolle prosequi", it means the prosecutor dropped the case. You have a right to ask a judge to seal a conviction if it was the first time you were convicted for drug possession. Extensive information on how to seal your CORI is available at MassLegalHelp.

Fixing Errors

Multiple options exist for fixing errors on your CORI:

You can find more information here.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Massachusetts is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Administrative Office of the District Court
Edward W. Brooke Courthouse
24 New Chardon Street, First Floor
Boston, MA 02114-4703
Tel: 617-788-8810
Fax: 617-788-8985
TTY: 617-788-8809

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.