New Mexico - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

You can obtain a copy of all court activity on your case on the New Mexico Courts website

Sealing/Expunging Records

New Mexico is among the states that allow residents to expunge criminal records if the original charge was not a felony or a charge of moral turpitude. The following procedure is suggested if you wish to attempt expunging a record.

  • Collect all the documentation you possess regarding your arrest or criminal record. In particular, you will want to ensure you have the date, the arresting policy agency, and the location of the incident.
  • In the case of an arrest that did not result in a court hearing, contact the arresting police agency to request a copy of the original report. They may also be able to provide you with additional details about the event which may be missing from your files. There is a chance that the police agency does not have the record, but that does not mean it does not exist somewhere else.
  • Visit the criminal court that handled the case, or the one that would have had jurisdiction over the community where the crime or alleged crime took place. Even if the charges were dropped before the case went to court, you want to verify if any record of the incident or arrest exists in the court files.

Call the New Mexico Department of Public Safety Law Enforcement Records Bureau at 505-827-9181 and request a petition to expunge arrest information. Petitions must be initially requested in that manner and cannot be obtained on its website. Provide details on the alleged incident, the arrest or charge and how the case was resolved. Let the agency know where arrest records exist if you have that information. But even if you don't know if records exist, the same request for expungement should be made.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Obtaining an Official Record

You can obtain a copy of all court activity on your case on the New Mexico Courts website

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in New Mexico is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

New Mexico Administrative Office of the Courts
237 Don Gaspar
Santa Fe, NM 87501

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.