South Dakota - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

South Dakota has a Unified Judicial System that allows both criminal and civil court records to be requested.

Sealing/Expunging Records

Contact the South Dakota Unified Judicial System at (605) 773-3474. Their mailing address information is at the bottom of this page.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Obtaining an Official Record

South Dakota has a Unified Judicial System that allows both civil and criminal court records to be requested.

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in South Dakota is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

South Dakota Unified Judicial System
State Court Administrator's Office
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
(605) 773-3474

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.