Utah - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

To obtain an official copy of your criminal record, you can apply in person or through the mail with the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation using the form below:

Sealing/Expunging Records

To determine if you are eligible to have your record expunged, please use this guide. If you are eligible, you can use the following form to initiate the process:

More information is available on the BCI website.

Fixing Errors

If you wish to challenge information in your criminal history, you can do so by completing the form below. Please follow instructions in the form carefully, and note that you will have to include a copy of the record(s) in question.

The Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) is aware that there are many victims of identity theft and out staff is willing to help those affected.

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Utah is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84129
Phone: 801-965-4445
Fax: 801-965-4749

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.