Washington - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

The Washington State Attorney General has provided extensive information on how to obtain your records, which can be done in person, by phone, email, fax, or regular mail.

  • Obtaining Public Records
  • If you need assistance finding the contact information for a particular state agency, you can call: 360-753-5000 or 1-800-321-2808

Sealing/Expunging Records

The WSP Criminal History Support (CHS) Unit maintains the complete and accurate criminal history record information (CHRI) of the statewide criminal records repository as well as Washington State records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. To request expungement, use the form below:

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Washington is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Washington State Patrol Headquarters:
Washington State Patrol
General Administration Building
PO Box 42600
Olympia WA 98504-2600
(360) 596-4000

Washington State Attorney General:
Main Office
1125 Washington Street SE
PO BOX 40100
Olympia, WA 98504-0100
[email protected]

Administrative Office of the Courts
Location: 1112 Quince St SE
Olympia, WA 98501-2462
Mailing: PO Box 41170
Olympia, WA 98504-1170
General Information: 360-753-3365
Fax: 360-956-5700 (Main)
Fax: 360-956-5711 (Temple)

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.