West Virginia - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

To obtain an official copy of your West Virginia criminal history, you will need to submit to fingerprinting. Detailed instructions on how to do this and obtain your record can be found on the West Virginia State Police website.

Sealing/Expunging Records

Once you have obtained your official criminal history (see above), you are now able to begin the process of expunging your criminal record(s) in West Virginia. You can read the instructions and complete the form below:

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in West Virginia is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

West Virginia State Police Headquarters
725 Jefferson Road
South Charleston, WV 25309

Administrative Office of the Courts
Capitol Complex
Building One, Room E-100
Charleston, WV 25305-0830
Fax: 304-558-1212

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.