Wisconsin - Disputing Public Records

Criminal Records

Obtaining an Official Record

The Criminal History Records Unit maintains the criminal history repository for the state of Wisconsin which consists of over 1.3 million records. The unit is responsible for processing arrest, charging decisions and disposition information submitted to the Crime Information Bureau (CIB) from law enforcement agencies, district attorneys, clerks of court and municipal court offices throughout the State.

To obtain a copy of your records you can request them from the Department of Justice. Send your request in letter form to the attention of Kevin C. Potter, Office of the Attorney General, Wisconsin Department of Justice, 17 W. Main St., P.O. Box 7857, Madison, WI 53707-7857. No special form is needed to submit your request. The response time will vary depending on the type of documents you seek, whether it is related to a criminal activity and whether or not the case is closed. We respond to all requests as soon as practicable and without delay.

Sealing/Expunging Records

Fixing Errors

If you are a victim of identity theft, you can file a complaint with the Office of Privacy Protection. There are several steps you should take, however, as soon as you discover your identity has been compromised. The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection has prepared a step-by-step list of this actions:

Civil Records

Civil records generally include judgments, liens and evictions, as well as other family and small claims cases.

Obtaining an Official Record

Fixing Errors

The most efficient way to dispute a civil record in Wisconsin is to contact the court in which the record was filed.


Bankruptcies can stay on your credit record for as long as 10 years. The most important place these records can affect you is on your credit report. To dispute a bankruptcy record that is inaccurate, contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus. Each has a process online for disputing records that appear on your file.

Disputing the actual public record can be much more challenging since the consumer is the one who files for the bankruptcy in the first place. More information can be found on the United States Courts website.

General Contact Information

Wisconsin Department of Justice
P.O. Box 7857
Madison, WI 53707-7857
Phone: (608) 266-1221
Fax: (608) 267-2779

U.S. Court Locator

Locate any court in the United States:

Public Records Disclaimer

BackgroundReport.com is providing Public Records dispute information as a public service. We make every effort to ensure information is accurate. However, laws change and we cannot promise that the information is always up-to-date and correct.

We do not intend this Public Records information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites. If you find something that is out-of-date, please let us know so we can get it fixed.